Sunday, July 13, 2008

Home Safe & Sound

My favorite family photo in China

At home w/Mommy, Ruby and Grandpa



Ruby with her Asian doll from Grandma. My mother bought my
sister the same doll when she went to China in the 80's - too cool!!!!



Ruby and Mommy taking a cat nap with Mimi

We are home safe and sound. The plane ride was long but Ruby did very well, even with her high energy. Ruby loves home, the dogs and cat. She and Dad went fishing and she caught four fish, but two got away. It seemed like she was the only person catching fish at the lake. She also loves to catch bugs in her bug farm- she even caught a hummingbird....with her bare hands!!!! Mom made her let the bird go ...poor bird - it lost many of its tail feathers. Ruby went swimming for the first time. It was a new experience for her and she liked it a lot until she slipped under the water, but Mommy was next to her and grabbed her right away. Her English is coming along. She completed her first ABC workbook this week. She catches on fast and completed most of it on her own. We are trying not to push learning too much right now because she has only been home for one week. We found out fast that she likes to learn on her own terms - and accomplishes much more this way too. Sometimes her skills are beyond her age of 10. I think she helped a lot with the cooking and planting with her foster family. I really look forward to her being able to open up about her past.
It is so amazing to finally be parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad Ruby is settling in and things are going well!

Andrea Nielsen said...

Welcome home. I hope that everything continues to go well and am glad to see how relaxed and at home Ruby seems.

Ashley said...

Welcome home!! I have been checking your blog daily, and it was so great to read your post and see your photos. Ruby sounds like a very special little girl! I'm so happy you are all home, safe and sound, and getting settled.
hugs, Ashley

MOA said...

I'm so excited for all of you! I saw your profile pic on Facebook, and had to stop be here to get all the details. Let me know if you need any advice on raising a "tween" : - )

MOA said...

I forgot that my blogger id wasn't very identifiable.

Suzanne Knisley

Patricia said...

Congrats! I am so happy for your family. I more happy for Ruby to have found such a giving and loving family. BTW - I'm one of Erin's Online friends.

Patty

Rosie said...

How fantastic.

neorealist said...

Ruby, mom, and macia...how cute