Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ming Ruby Catherine Skubella

We decided on a name for Ming. Her full name will be Ming Ruby Catherine Skubella and she can choose if she would like to go by Ming, Ruby or Catherine. I hope she sticks with Ming because it is an easy name to pronounce and is part of her heritage, but who knows...maybe she'll want a more "American" name and will choose to be called Ruby or Catherine. Mike and I decided to stay with Ruby as one of her middle names because that name has been in our hearts for well over a year now. Catherine was added to carry on the Greek tradition of naming the first daughter after the Mother's Mother. Catherine is my Mother's name :)

Since we have seen Ming's photo, I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't thought of her. Mike as well. I wonder how she is doing, if she is keeping warm, how her studies in English are coming along and think about how she will react when she is told that she will be adopted. Sometimes I just get emotional thinking of her. She is our dreams come true. Preparations we are doing is learning Mandarin (Mike is doing a much better job than me), trying to find a translator (this is more difficult than I thought...we are quite rural), buying a few basic clothes, purchasing some English learning materials and putting together her Life Book. Her Life Book is mandatory by the state of Colorado (I think?) and pieces together her history into a book. This will give her a better sense of who she is. Any information we gather on her past will be put into the Life Book. It might be very tricky to put together her history, but after time we can fill in some of the missing spots as Ming opens up about her history.


Stay warm and safe no matter where you may be...

1 comment:

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I love her new name! Are you using Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin? I found it is the easiest way...a bit pricey but worth it since Ming is older. You might also try getting an electronic translator to take with you. It worked great for the family who traveled with us.

~Lynn