Monday, September 1, 2008

First week of school

Miss Ruby on her first day of school

Ruby and I getting ready for a cold summer's walk. I love this photo, but I look 40 not 34!

I can't believe it is already September! Time has flown by so fast! Ruby's first day of school was last Tuesday. She was quite nervous, but did good overall. Ruby has had some ups and downs concerning school since her first day. This is expected due to a new adjustment, new friends and environment. I've been attending school with her to help out with the translation part. Even though I am far from speaking Chinese, we are still able to communicate in our own way. I am starting to ween myself off of school so Ruby can become a little more independent. I think I'm just more of a distraction to her now, instead of help. We tested this on Friday because I had to work and missing so much work has put me behind. I was sad to leave her too, but know it is the right thing because I can't go to school with her every day. She was upset that I wasn't going to be there, but did just fine after I left.

We have adjusted a few things for Ruby until the school has completed her testing and program design. Ruby goes to school at 9:30 and leaves at 2. She feels a little awkward coming in late and leaving early, but is OK with it. We've done this because Ruby wants so badly to be doing what the other kids are doing in Spelling/English, but her communication/vocabulary just isn't there yet. She doesn't understand what the kids are doing and it makes her very frustrated. So, instead of feeding the frustration we have decided to skip those classes until she is able to attend a title 1 English class and other options. I think it is a relief for her now :)

Ruby will not lack motivation to catch up. She is all about being at the same level as the other kids. We knew she was competitive, but we are finding out her expectations are too high. One night she spent over 2 hours just trying to do homework. Her teacher is very flexible with the assignments and anything that is out of her reach does not have to be completed. Ruby has a hard time understanding this. From what she has told us, her school in China was very very strict and she feels she can not do anything wrong or different from the other students. I think school may have been traumatic for her in China after hearing her stories. I hope she has a more positive experience here. American schools are so different. Ruby made the comments to me on the first day of school that her teacher walks around the room too much and letting the students drink water during class out of water bottles is bad.
Socially, Ruby is like a movie star. It is a little overwhelming at times because children say hello to her in the halls and she doesn't know them. All the kids want to play with her at recess. Everywhere we go in town, kids and parents are saying "hi". Ruby says that people like her because she is from China. Mike and I tell her yes because it is the truth. We also add in that China is a great country and Americans like China because they were able to see Beijing during the Olympics. This makes her happy and proud.
I look forward to seeing what the second week of school brings. Ruby also has a hiking field trip (I'm going of course!) and her first birthday party on Friday.
I think this might be her first birthday party.


2 comments:

Ashley said...

great photos, and you definitely do not look 40!! You are such a great mom! What an exciting time for Ruby. Hope school continues to go well. You must be very proud of your lovely daughter!

Jill said...

I hope school continues to go better and better for Ruby. And an early happy birthday to her!