Saturday, January 6, 2007

Crazy Weather!

Due to the bad weather yesterday I was unable to go into work again. So - no photos. This is the forth time in less than a month that the weather has effected my transportation to Fairplay. I live about 30 miles south of Fairplay and must drive highway 285. This highway crosses some of the windiest sections in South Park. The weather out here has been just crazy! Wind, snow, more wind, more snow...it just hasn't stopped. Whoever predicted a mild first half of winter was a little off. (I mention this in my first or second post). To make this weather even more interesting, I got my car stuck twice! This past Monday, my car slipped into a ditch. The ditch was quite steep and I'm very thankful I wasn't going fast because my car may have flipped. Actually it felt really wierd going into the ditch. Besides loose items tumbling around in my car, it was like my Jeep was falling into a bed of marshmallows. The snow was very deep and my car landed on an angle, so I couldn't open my door. I had to climb up and out of the passenger front door. Besides a few scratches, my car and I were safe :) The seond incident happened yesterday. At first I thought I would be able to make it to work. LOL! From our house to pavement is about 4 miles. I could barely see the dirt road the entire way. As I approached highway 24, I couldn't stop the car and I slid onto the highway. Sure glad there wasn't a car coming! Then I realized I couldn't see ANYTHING beyond 100 feet due to the white out. This is when I did a U turn on the highway and headed home. I made it to the long driveway in front of the house. In the short time I had been gone, the wind had already covered my tracks, so I couldn't see the driveway. I ended up in the grassy meadow, stuck again! Luckily my hubby was home to save me :) Today we drove to Fairplay and Buena Vista. The roads are still icy in areas, but melting in others. His big truck with super winter tires did OK, but when we started to slip a few times, I definitely felt myself get tense. I don't think that feeling will go away for awhile!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Whoa, that sounds a little scary! Living in sunny Southern Ca I have never experienced these things.

D & S said...

The weather this year has been nuts! Stay safe and watch out for the ice on the roads.

M and M said...

I am glad that you are safe! Here in Canada where I live, NO snow yet - can you believe it - NONE!! Kinda weird. It actaully feels more like March then January.

Take care and don't go taking any more chances in the car!!