Sunday, January 7, 2007

Long Cold Winter

One of my favorite books as a child was 'Long Cold Winter' by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Reading about their struggles to get through one of the worst winters she experienced as a child will always stick with me. I recall her writing about the animals they lost, that they had to stay inside for days because it was too cold, and putting blankets on the walls so the snow wouldn't blow in their home. Although one of my previous jobs required me to live outside and deal with Colorado weather year round, I've never had to deal with what the pioneers had to experience. How lucky we are for advancements!

Some of you may be wondering what the new bunny ticker is for at the top of the blog. Mike and I belong to a wonderful adoption group on yahoo. The group consists of other families adopting from China. Several of their blogs are linked to our blog. These families all sent their Dossiers to China at about the same time so we are all going through similar adoption thoughts and experiences. The October06DTC group also has many different activities you can participate in. One of them is "walking" to China. We keep track of how many miles we walk, swim, run, snowshoe and workout. Twice a month we combine our miles and apply it towards the distance to China. It will be a lot of fun to see how fast we can make it to China.

No comments: